Pages

March 02, 2011

Games PC : Fallout New Vegas

As promised, I bring you the PC Game Review of Fallout 3: New Vegas

Developer: Obsidian Entertainment


For the most part, I've always disliked Open RPG's. Their openness comes in hand with freedom, and this freedom translates to a lack of 'purpose' which ultimately leads to the question: Why am I playing this game? . This is the most difficult challenge for any ORPG DEVs.. creating a game which has both the freedom of choice but also elaborate an illusion of purpose and meaning to all your (meaningless) actions.

..Fallout: New Vegas achieves this goal wonderfully.


The Game .. takes place in the Mojave Desert, years after its destruction (together with presumably all of America) due to a nuclear war.
All that remains now is a shadow of the past (More specifically, the 1950's). Ruined buildings, poisoned food, and mutated animals are a common sight.

Howdy, Pardner!
You are the courier. You were tasked by your superiors to deliver a package. Simple enough, right? Well.. no. A gang lead by a mysterious guy in a suit intercept you, steal your package.. and shoot you in the head.
Fortunately for you, a cowboy robot digs you out of your shallow grave and sends you to the doctor. What's next, an alien abduction? :P

Anyway.. you're fully patched up now, and your purpose is simple. Payback.

Of course that, along the way, many questions will arise. Like why did they want with that package, what was the package's content, and many others. This questions will lead you into a myriad of sidequests which will ensure hours of fun.

If you ever played Fallout 3, then you'll very quickly catch up with the controls and the environment in general, given that it's pretty much identical in F:NV.
Some have critized Obsidian for not innovating at all. Me? I commend them for keeping a system that works.

Beating guys with a golf club? ..Check
Really, the only changes made those that were truly necessary. Melee weapons were lacking in Fallout 3. In New Vegas? Lots of them. Fallout 3 too easy? .. New Vegas has a Hardcore mode where you'll have to drink, eat, and sleep regularly to survive. This is simply awesome for those that are acquainted with the franchise and want a serious challenge.

The replayability factor is more present that ever.. with 3 different approaches that you can take, each with dozens of unique quests. Join the NCR and defend the desert from the menace of the Legion. Join the Legion and drive the NCR away. Or perhaps you'd be more interested in aligning with the mysterious Mr. House...

The irony.. it burns..
Graphically it looks almost identical to Fallout 3. A game released quite a few years ago. While I have no issues with the graphics themselves, I feel Obsidian could have improved on the subject a little. Perhaps something akin to what Valve did with the episodic series of Half Life 2.

Soundwise, no complaints here. The voice acting is frankly excellent, and combined with all the elements discussed above, you'll be drowned into the game in no time.
Many new weapons were added to the game, and each has its own unique sound effects.


It's really hard for me to think of something bad about this game. You could nitpick and point at minor issues.. but really, how should we judge a game? . My opinion is this: If the game is addicting, and the experience is good, it's worth playing. And F: NV is one of those games.


Rating: 10/10

28 Comments:

ScottD said...

good review. great game.

ed said...

looks good, addictive games take up too much time though

WizWayne said...

good review I have been a fan. If you ever have heard of Ultima Online my personal favorite new free server just opened http://www.ipyshard.com/

Unknown said...

fallout is awesome, and nice l2 banner you have there ;)

EmilPetersson said...

I was never really in to futuristic games, but Fallout now seems like a playable one of them.
Thanks for recommending!

Krumpel said...

many told me about this game never tried it :p i'll definitely do after this review !

Spike said...

very nice review. I have to complete the game now

BernT said...

Don't like Fallout New Vegas ... doesn't feel right i don't know

Daemon said...

Good review havent played New Vegas yet

duffboi said...

Never had the chance to play this or Fallout 3 cuz too slow pc and no xbox 360. As far as open ended games go, the only one that drew me in was morrowind. But I may have given this a shot had I the means to do it. If I ever have the means tho, your review would incline me to try it. I am never concerned with playing older games. So we'll see.

Grafted said...

Awesome review

rinns said...

Awesome review, I nearly did one on NV this morning haha! I decided against it because I didn't know what to say u__u
But you got it all covered really nicely, I really enjoyed it :D

SKS FKF said...

Sounds neat, I'll have to give it a try. It sounds like the main quest is actually compelling this time.

Jung said...

can rarely go wron with bethesda games.

Alexander said...

Great review I'm definitely gonna check this out when I can

Stef Pelgrims said...

really nice review!

Dylan said...

This game is great, not worth a perfect score in my opinion, but each reviewer to his/her own.

Gaming Like Mad said...

I really enjoyed the game, but for me dissapointing was the lack of unused areas. There is nothing to do, nothing to explore. Yeah there are a few towns with side quests, but not enough. For me Fallout 3 was a far more successful game.

Harvenger said...

im going to pick up a copy of new vegas.

Jcache said...

Ive heard some pretty good things about New Vegas, this review made me actually open steam and check the price. Awesome review!

Freek said...

I wonder which ultimately became more popular. FO3 or NV?

Rondariel said...

Yeah I mostly agree with you, although the few minor issues do kinda amount to what I would say is at least a point deduction. I would say 9/10
:)

Mostly Irrelephant said...

Great game, indeed. I love the Fallout games. They really got it right.
Please do a review of Duke Nukem Forever *IF* it ever comes out :D

Freek said...

Lots of people say New Vegas is better than FO3, but I personally think the difference is quite subtle.

Dj DeKu said...

Fallout is such a great game.

Jessica Thompson said...

Great one. followed!
alphabetalife.blogspot.com

Mister 25 said...

I might just suck at video games but fallout 3 was like impossible for me.

Brawno604 said...

I love Fallout's game!

Post a Comment